By Larry Volland, President
Summit-Waller Community Association
This year is a special year for our association. 2013 marks our “20th Anniversary” of volunteer efforts in the Summit-Waller Community. Twenty years of caring individuals with a comprehensive “community-wide” vision. Twenty years of working out-in-the-open and laboring behind-the-scenes to promote the rural quality of life, neighborhoods and enjoyment of property for the residents living in the Summit-Waller Community. Twenty very productive years with community support of time, talent and treasure.
I urge you to check out the list of some of our accomplishments over the last twenty years featured within this newsletter. Our initial involvement over the years in land use issues and community plans has blossomed out to include Franklin Pierce and Puyallup school district issues, vision plans, levies and bond efforts, regional parks, feasibility studies (example: Tom Ballard Report – 2010) of our community, Neighborhood Crime Watch, Waller Road Adopt-A-Road Program, our Integrated Mobile Learning Platform ideas for education, agricultural programs at the FPSD “Farm” for the school lunch program, area road projects, and air quality efforts.
Please join us for our 2013 General Membership Meeting at our new location at the Mid-County Community Center (behind Central Avenue Elementary School) on Tuesday, May 7 from 7:00-9:00 PM. We hope to have a very informative agenda for you again this year. Thanks again for your great support over the years, and please join us on May 7 as we celebrate 20 years of service to the community.
Some SWCA Highlight Accomplishments
- Established March,1993.
- Assisted Pierce County in acquiring the 160 acre Orangegate property from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) through an application to Pierce County Conservation Futures for approximately $900,000.
- Assisted Pierce County in creating the Summit-Waller Community Plan (1989).
- Assisted Pierce County in creating the Summit-Waller Land Use Advisory Commission, which later was merged into the current Mid-County Land Use Advisory Commission.
- Assisted Pierce County in creating the Mid-County Community Plan for the Summit-Waller, Riverside, Summit View and North Clover Creek-Collins communities.
- Assisted Pierce County in the creation of the Rural Separator zoning for the Mid-County communities.
- Had a major impact on the creation of the popular “Pierce County Responds” program where citizens can make a single phone call, (253) 798-4636 to deal with litter, junk or abandoned cars on public right-away or on private property.
- Assisted Pierce County in the design and implementation of the unincorporated Pierce County community signs visible as one enters a community plan area of the county ( Ex. “Welcome to Summit-Waller”).
- Assisted the Puyallup School District and Pierce County to create an ordinance that allowed 20 MPH signs on the streets that border Waller Road Elementary School.
- Assisted the Franklin Pierce School District in resurrecting a farm program at the “Farm” (96th St E & Waller Road E) to provide fruits and vegetables to the school lunch program, and provide agricultural experiences for district students at all grade levels.
- Assisted the Franklin Pierce School District in its “Vision 2030” Plan.
- Endorsed and assisted the Franklin Pierce School District in its successful 2011 Capital Levy effort..
- Adopt-A-Road Litter Patrol Participant – Waller Rd E [from SR 512 to Pioneer Way E.] (Aprox. 5 miles).
- Initiated and paid for a professional, viability study of the Rural Separator Zone including the Summit-Waller Community – The Tom Ballard Report (2010).
- 2011 – Franklin Pierce S. D. – a SWCA board member received a “Partnership in Education” Award.
- 2011 – Pierce County Parks & Recreation Department – a SWCA board member received an “Outstanding Adult Volunteer” Award.
- 2012 – Franklin Pierce S. D.– another SWCA board member received a “Partnership in Education” Award.
- Conducted a 2012 State 25th Legislative District Candidates Forum for interested citizens.
- Endorsed and promoted the Puyallup School District Bond Issue in February, 2013.