Pierce County Community Connections Aging & Disability Resources (ADR) is initiating a process to gather community input for the creation of the 2016-2019 Area Plan. The Area Plan establishes funding priorities and the array of services that will be provided to support older adults and adults with disabilities who are living in the community.
Input can be provided at six community forums, an Internet survey, by e-mail and by mail. Comments can be made on any topic of concern, e.g., in-home care, transportation, nutrition, health care, housing, socialization, legal services, aging-in-place and employment / volunteerism. Information gathered will be used to help shape the “Area Plan” that will be created by ADR.
“We want to hear what concerns people,” said Aaron Van Valkenburg, manager of Pierce County Aging and Disability Resources. “In order for us to develop a strong plan for the next four years, we need to hear the experiences and suggestions of people with disabilities, older adults, caregivers, family members, friends and professionals in the community.”
Aging and Disability Resources has scheduled a series of forums for individuals to speak up and help shape priority areas and goals for services to older adults and individuals with disabilities in Pierce County. Six community forums are scheduled:
- March 4 (2 to 4 p.m.) at the Center for Independence, 7801 Bridgeport Way W., Suite 200, Lakewood
- March 9 (10 a.m. to noon) at the Lighthouse Senior Activity Center, 5016 E. A St., Tacoma
- March 19 (12:30- 2:30 p.m.) at the Milgard Family HOPE Center, 8502 Skansie Ave., Gig Harbor
- March 21 (9 to 11 a.m.) at the Buckley Senior Center, 811 Main St., Buckley
- March 30 (10 a.m. to noon) at the Mountain View Community Center, 3607 122nd Ave. E., Edgewood
- April 16 (1 to 3 p.m.) at the Lakewood Senior Activity Center, 9112 Lakewood Drive SW, Lakewood
Each community input forum is open to the public. No RSVP is required.
An Internet survey is also available to provide input. The survey is available at www.PierceCountyWA.org/ADR. Comments can also be provided by mail to Pierce County ADR, 1305 Tacoma Ave. S., Suite 104, Tacoma, WA 98402. Email submissions can be made to PCSeniors@co.pierce.wa.us.
Pierce County Aging and Disability Resources (ADR) is a designated Area Agency on Aging. Guided by the Area Plan and an Advisory Board, the role of ADR is to plan and oversee long-term services and supports in Pierce County. For additional information about the Community Input Forums or the Area Plan, call (253) 798-7376.