PIERCE COUNTY — The Pierce County Auditor’s Office is opening a special appointment period to recruit individuals to write against committee statements for the August 1, 2023 Primary Election Local Voters’ Pamphlet.
Against Committee members needed
• Pierce County Library System – Proposition 1 – Sumner Library Facility Area – General Obligation Bonds – $15,000,000
• Graham Fire & Rescue – Proposition 1 – Multi-Year EMS Levy Lid Lift
• South Pierce Fire & Rescue – Proposition 1 – Multi-Year Fire and Emergency Levy Lid Lift
• Fire Protection District No. 5 (Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One) – Proposition 1 – Multi-Year Fire and Emergency Levy Lid Lift
• Fire Protection District No.14 (Riverside Fire & Rescue) – Proposition 1 – Multi-Year Fire and Emergency Levy Lid Lift
• Fire Protection District No. 27 (Anderson Island) – Proposition 1 – Multi-Year Fire Services Levy Lid Lift
• Fire Protection District No. 27 (Anderson Island) – Proposition 2 – Multi-Year EMS Levy Lid Lift
• Anderson Island Parks & Recreation – Proposition 1 – Regular Levy
The district did not appoint against committee members to prepare statements for the local voters’ pamphlet. As a result, RCW 29A.32.280 directs the Auditor’s Office to seek out and appoint up to three members to form the committee. A link to District resolutions and explanatory statements can be found at www.PierceCountyElections.org in the current election section.
• Be a resident and registered voter of Pierce County for at least one year immediately prior to the appointment;
• Pledge to work cooperatively with other members of the committee; and
• Have ready access to email.
• Read, understand and fulfill the obligations described in the Elections Guide for Jurisdictions, which includes:
• Committee appointments and participation;
• Word limits, format requirements, and deadlines for statements and rebuttals.
• Have your name appear in the local voters’ pamphlet and waive anonymity.
At least one committee member must be willing to submit phone number, email, or website address for publication in the local voters’ pamphlet. Those interested who agree to the above responsibilities can email a request that includes name, voter registration address, phone number, and the district they wish to write a statement for to VoterPamphlet@PierceCountyWa.gov.. Appointments will be made in the order that the requests are received.
The deadline to request a committee appointment is May 16, 2023, at noon. The deadline to submit a committee statement is May 16, 2023, at 4:30 p.m.
NOTE: Individuals requesting appointment on May 16 must be prepared to submit the statement by email on the same day. The Auditor’s Office is unable to extend the deadline.