Pierce County residents looking to give back to their communities have ample opportunities to volunteer, especially in the 5th Council District that extends from South Tacoma to 160th Street E. in Spanaway and east-west from Interstate 5 to Woodland Avenue E. in South Hill.
“Serving on one of our many boards and commissions is an excellent way to stay involved in county government as well as find personal satisfaction knowing that you’re helping to make a difference in your community,” said Councilmember Rick Talbert, who represents District 5. “We have very active residents in our district and I’m confident that we’ll see these openings fill up sooner rather than later, so if anyone is interested they should get their application in now.”
Vacancies in the 5th District include:
- Conservation Futures Program Advisory Board – evaluates presentations that maybe eligible for acquisitions through the Conservation Futures program, which acquires threatened areas of open space, timber lands, wetland, habitat areas, agricultural and farm lands within the boundaries of Pierce County in order to protect and preserve it.
- Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission – carries out the Pierce County Historic Preservation Program as a Certified Local Government in historic preservation, and provides recommendations on matters related to Pierce County heritage to the County Executive and Council.
- Land Use Advisory Commission – makes recommendations regarding updates to community plans, monitor the progress made in implementation of community plan policies, and reviews applications for proposed developments within the represented community for which a public hearing is required.
- Parks and Recreation Citizens’ Advisory Board – advises the Parks and Recreation Department concerning its general operations and capital projects, as well as the needs and interest of the citizens of the community.
Other countywide board and commission vacancies include:
- Aging and Disability Resources Advisory Board
- Allocation Advisory Committee for Prevention Programs
- Arts Commission
- Boating Advisory Commission
- Boundary Review Board
- Chemical Dependency Advisory Board
- Civil Service Commission
- Community Connections Citizens’ Advisory Board
- Developmental Disabilities Advisory Board
- Library System Board of Trustees
- Performance Audit Committee
- Solid Waste Advisory Committee
- Surface Water Management Advisory Board
For more information on any of the listed boards and commissions, please use the individual links or visit www.piercecountywa.org/boards.