PIERCE COUNTY — The Pierce County Planning Commission has scheduled eight additional meetings on the Frederickson, Mid-County, Parkland-Spanaway-Midland and South Hill community plan updates in early 2020. The commission is scheduled to makes its final recommendations on the updates in March.
Community plans provide direction on how growth and development will occur. The plans address topics such as zoning, transportation, the look and feel of the community, and access to services and amenities. An overview of the proposed changes is available at www.piercecountywa.gov/cpupdate.
The meetings will be held at the Pierce County Annex, 2401 S. 35th St. in Tacoma.
Several meetings will focus on the Centers and Corridors proposal, which would focus growth along Pacific Avenue/State Route 7, Meridian/State Route 161, 176th Street East, 112th Street East and Canyon Road East.
Two January study sessions are open to the public, but there will be no public testimony.
- Jan. 7, 1-3 p.m.: Information about a concept that would allow the proposed Centers and Corridors rezones to be phased in over time.
- Jan. 9, 1-3 p.m.: Information about a new approach to regulate design in the proposed Centers and Corridors zones.
Four public hearings will be held in February and March. Each meeting will feature a staff presentation, discussion by the commission, and public testimony about proposed changes presented at that meeting.
- Feb. 4, 6:30 p.m.: Review additional draft proposed changes to the Centers and Corridors proposal.
- Feb. 25, 9:30 a.m.: Results of the housing market study that provides a realistic estimate of additional housing growth related to the Centers and Corridors proposal for the Environmental Impact Statement. Environmental Impact Statements evaluate the environmental impacts of changes to plans and zoning and provide ways to reduce any identified impacts.
- March 3, 6:30 p.m.: Review additional draft proposed changes to the Centers and Corridors proposal.
- March 4, 6:30 p.m.: Review additional draft changes and potential amendments for the community plan updates.
The commission will make a final recommendation on each plan, associated development regulations, and amendments to the Pierce County Comprehensive Plan in March. There will be no public testimony.
- March 10, 6:30 p.m.: Final amendments and recommendations.
- March 12, 6:30 p.m.: Final amendments and recommendations.
The commission’s final recommendations will be submitted to the Pierce County Council. The council will then consider the proposed changes for each plan and determine whether to adopt them.
Visit www.piercecountywa.gov/cpupdate to view a meeting calendar and sign up for meeting updates.
Written comment accepted
Written public comment will be accepted until March 4 for consideration at the final recommendation meetings. It can be submitted via email to CommunityPlans@piercecountywa.gov or by mail or in person at Pierce County Planning and Public Works, Attn: Long Range Planning, 2401 S. 35th St., Suite 2, Tacoma, WA 98409.
Using community feedback gathered over the last few years, Pierce County and the Land Use Advisory Commissions for the four areas drafted updates to the plans and development regulations. The Planning Commission has held public meetings and study sessions this summer and fall to review the draft updates.
To learn more about the proposed updates, community members can call the Community Plans Hotline at 253-798-2799, email CommunityPlans@piercecountywa.gov, or send a letter to Pierce County Planning and Public Works, Attn: Long Range Planning, 2401 S. 35th St., Suite 2, Tacoma, WA 98409.