ID requirements change for non-military entering JBLM


JOINT BASE LEWIS-McCHORD, Wash. – A standard Washington State Driver License or ID Card can no longer be used to get a visitor’s pass for access to Joint Base Lewis-McChord or the Yakima Training Center starting April 1, because neither complies with Real ID Act of 2005 requirements. 

Washington is one of five states (along with Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri and New Mexico) that do not comply with this law. Although the law went into effect in 2005, implementing its requirements for JBLM access have been delayed until now.

This change affects companies with employees who need unescorted access to JBLM or YTC.  It also impacts people who need visitor passes for unescorted base access to visit friends, family, the museums, hospital or other locations on either JBLM or YTC.

Washington State Enhanced Driver’s Licenses and IDs are Real ID Act compliant, so either can be used to prove identity. Visitors with this ID must still go to the Visitor Center to get a base pass. 

People without a Washington State Enhanced Driver’s License or ID must provide one of the following forms of ID to get a base pass:

            •           U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

            •           Permanent resident card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (INS Form I-551)

            •           Foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 with printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa

            •           Foreign passport with a current arrival-departure record or foreign passport with INS Form I-94/I-94A bearing the same names as the passport and

containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for an employer

            •           Employment authorization document that contains a photograph (INS Form I-776)

            •           Driver license or identification card issued by a State or outlying U.S. possession that is Real ID             compliant. For Washington and Minnesota this is

the Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID

            •           JBLM-issued Rapid Gate Identification

            •           U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card or Transportation Worker ID Card issued by DHS

            •           Native American tribal document

            •           U.S. Government issued, authenticated Federal PIV credentials

            •           For anyone under 18, a school ID card that contains a photo

Visitors with visitor pass questions should call the JBLM Lewis Main Visitor Center at (253) 967-4794, JBLM McChord Field Visitor Center at (253) 982-2588, or YTC Police Desk at (509) 577-3236.

For more information about the Real ID Act visit the Department of Homeland Security Website at, or for information about how to obtain a Washington State enhanced driver license visit the Washington Department of Licensing  website at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s