The public is invited to attend an open house to learn more about ideas to help relieve congestion on Interstate 5 between Lakewood and DuPont. Washington State Department of Transportation staff will host the open house where commuters and residents are encouraged to participate and comment.
Proposed corridor improvements
WSDOT officials will be on hand to discuss several possible improvements to the area of I-5 stretching along Joint Base Lewis McCord:
- Build HOV lanes in both directions of I-5 between Lakewood and DuPont.
- Revise and/or relocate three I-5 interchanges (including adding roundabouts at freeway exits):
- DuPont-Steilacoom Road (Exit 119)
- Berkeley Street SW (Exit 122)
- North Thorne Lane Southwest (Exit 123)
- Build a local connector road between Gravelly Lake Drive and Thorne Lane.
- Build a shared-use path along the I-5 corridor.
The open house will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 5, at the McGavick Conference Center, located at 4500 Steilacoom Boulevard Southwest in Lakewood.
No formal presentation will be provided. Attendees are welcome to come and go at their leisure during the three-hour event.
Accommodation requests for people with disabilities can be made by contacting the WSDOT Diversity/ADA Affairs team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling toll-free, 855-362-4ADA (4232). Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may make a request by calling the Washington State Relay at 711.